A brief History of Lava:
Lava is a small hamlet situated 32 kilometres (21 mi) east of the town of Kalimpong via Algarah in Darjeeling district of the state of West Bengal, India. Lava is situated at an altitude of 7,016 feet (2,138 m). It is one of the few places in West Bengal to receive snow in winter. It is the entry point to the Neora Valley National Park from Kalimpong. The route to Lava is scenic with the change in vegetation from tropical deciduous to the wet alpine trees of fir, pine and birch. The verdant forests are a popular spot for picnicking, trekking and bird-watching. Lava has now become a favorite tourist destination for people living on the coast of West Bengal, and tourism has become the source of living for the inhabitants.
Many small guest houses and lodges have been built including log houses or small huts built in the midst of the forest which a tourist can rent to experience the wildlife and a famous spot to view the sunrise.Another tourist destination near Lava is Rishyap just 4 km walking pathway with a view of Himalayan peaks. Wild animals such as the Himalayan Black Bear and barking deer are found in these parts. A Buddhist monastery is present on one of the hills of Lava. Notable sites include Changey Waterfalls and Lava Jamgyong Kongtrul Monastery.
Advantages of Unique Inn
- Cooler than other places in the region – no fans or air-conditioning required even
in summer at its peak.
- Noise & pollution free environment.
- Maximum snowfall – season’s 1st & last snowfall in the region.
- Man made mini lake at 150 meters.
- Ample parking space for guest’s vehicles.
- Wide Range of Accommodation.
- Surrounded by dense forest.
- Wall to wall carpet.
- Power Generator
- Car Parking
- Package Booking
- Running Cold & Hot water
How to reach
- By Road: National Highway No.31 between Siliguri and Guwahati passes over Chalsa. From Chalsa to Lava have district road. Lava is adjoin town to the Neora Valley National Park. North Bengal State Transport Corporation Buses, Bhutan Govt. Buses, Mini Buses, Private Buses and Taxi are available from Siliguri to Lava via Kalimpong or via Gorubathan. Journey time from Siliguri to Lava is about 3 hours.
- By Rail: Nearest railway station to Lava is New Jalpaiguri.New Jalpaiguri and Siliguri Railway Station are main railway station in this area. After you arrive at New Jalpaiguri or Siliguri, you should follow the road journey to reach at Lava.
- By Air: Nearest airport is Bagdogra. It is a domestic airport under Indian Army. All major air services are available from all over India. Distance between Bagdogra and Siliguri is 13 km. You can find out various vehicles to come in Siliguri, and then follow the above road route.